Carlow District Credit Union Limited
Job Title: Assistant Accountant.
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Carlow Credit Union Office, Askea.
Salary: will be discussed with successful candidate (candidates are asked to include salary expectation on covering letter)
Purpose of the Role
We are looking for an ambitious, part-qualified/qualified accountant to join the finance team in CDCU. As Assistant Accountant, you will report directly to the CFO and will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of the day-to-day processing of data and running of the finance department. You will also be involved in the optimisation of the function to ensure best practice in reporting systems and internal control framework together with supporting other departments via project work/data analysis.
Accounting and Reporting
- Completion of monthly Balance Sheet and key account reconciliations (to include preparation and in some cases review of others work). Examples of key accounts: Cash floats, bank and investment accounts, fixed assets, DIRT, Share and loan accounts.
- Assistance with monthly reporting to include recording of investment accrued income, debtors, creditors, fixed assets etc
- Assistance with coordination of the internal and external audits and provision of information for the same
- Assistance with completion of PR returns.
- Assistance with compilation of strategic projections.
- Assistance in year-end reporting and compilation of the financial statement notes
- Maintain the fixed asset register including secure disposal.
- Assistance with the preparation and processing of weekly payroll to strict deadlines including filing of revenue returns
- Prepare and report on key metrics to help drive operational efficiency e.g., absences, holiday accruals/utilisation, overtime etc
- Prepare and submit all 3rd party deductions (pension, health insurance, social welfare etc)
- Support accounts payable in day-to-day processing together with cost realisation projects
- Examples would be in tracking our total suppliers and their respective relationship owners together with contract end dates etc
- Assistance with negotiations with suppliers upon entering/renewal of contracts or price setting.
- Data analysis and reporting. An example of this would be reporting of Suboffice performances re transactions, loans issued etc. Training in excel, dashboards etc would be provided on the job.
- Continuous improvement – identification of opportunities for improvement of analysis and reporting and implementation of efficiency models
- Assist with process and procedure documentation and efficiency models e.g. finding ways to save time in reporting by eliminating some areas of reporting which are not being used efficiently, documenting the month end accounting procedures to create a procedures manual etc
- Involvement in projects/tasks as required within the Credit Union including financial impact studies, assets management, statistical reporting, committee support etc. These would be very much as part of a team with the required support provided. An example might be if we were introducing a new product or looking at changing a major supplier through to assisting a committee with policy update.
- Assistance with preparation of AGM booklet & AGM.
- Other duties that may be required to perform the role and support the finance function.
Key Requirements/Essential attributes for the role
- Part-qualified or qualified accountant (ACCA/ACA).
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience within a finance department with exposure to payroll, general ledger account reconciliations, accounts preparation and financial reporting
- Advanced Excel skills essential and a proven ability to work both autonomously and with others in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience in an accounts payable role would be an advantage but not essential
- Passionate about process improvement with good analytical skills
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to integrate and work effectively with people at all levels
- Attention to detail and accuracy essential with a natural focus on quality and continuous improvement.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
How to Apply
To apply for a vacancy please download the job specification which is located under the vacancies section on Carlow District Credit Union’s website at carlowcreditunion.ie/vacancies/
Please email CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by
Monday 20th September 2021.
Next steps: We aim to provide responses to all applications within 10 working days from the closing date.
Carlow District Credit Union Limited is an equal opportunities employer and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.