Blackrock Credit Union Ltd
is now inviting applications for the following position
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER (DPO)
Contract Status : (Part time 21 hours per month)
Reporting to : The Board / CEO
General Scope of the Role
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) will play a key role in fostering a culture of compliance with regard to Data Protection within the credit union and will help to implement essential elements of DP, such as the principles of data processing, upholding data subjects’ rights, data protection by design and by default, maintaining records of processing activities, addressing security of processing, and the notification and communication of data breaches.
The DPO will also act as the primary point of contact for the Credit Union and its relevant stakeholders (e.g. Data Protection Commission, Credit Union, and the Central Bank and Credit Union Members).
- Inform and advise the credit union and our employees on all DP matters and in particular in relation to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements.
- Develop and oversee the GDPR implementation plan for the credit union.
- Maintain records of processing activities and analyse and document the compliance of processing activities.
- Develop policies and procedures, systems and controls and suggest process changes to secure DP compliance.
- Monitor compliance with DP legislation and regulations in addition to the credit unions own DP policies, including conducting relevant audit checking.
- Keep abreast of any regulatory or emerging data privacy legislation/ trends which may impact credit unions.
- Ensure training of all relevant staff involved in data processing operations.
- Ensure data processing agreements are in place with third parties handling personal data and monitor their compliance with those agreements where necessary.
- Respond in a timely manner to data subjects’ requests to assert their rights, e.g. data access/erasure/portability etc.
- Assist the credit union in its response to a data breach within required timelines.
- Maintain a central register of data security reports (to include actual or suspected data security breaches) in a form that allows the DPO and the credit union; to monitor and assess the effectiveness of the credit union’s DP systems.
The successful candidate will ideally:
- Have knowledge of the financial services sector and of credit unions;
- Have a good understanding of the processing operations carried out, as well as the information systems, data security and DP needs of credit unions;
- Have expertise in Irish and EU DP legislation to include an in-depth understanding the GDPR;
- Have a relevant degree or other third level qualification or relevant professional qualification; a legal, compliance or DP qualification would be an advantage;
- Have experience applying and implementing legal and regulatory requirements, ideally DP requirements within an organisation;
- Previous experience in a direct DP role or a compliance role with DP responsibilities is advantageous;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high degree of self- motivation;
- Possess strong interpersonal, influencing and communications skills/ ability to promote a DP culture within the credit union;
- Have a good understanding of information technologies and data security;
- Experience in report writing and project management desirable.
Salary will be commensurate with relevant experience.
Please email your CV with a covering letter stating why you are the right person for this role, to: email@example.com before close of business on Friday 6th October 2023
Please contact Orla Ennis on firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the Recruitment Privacy Notice.
Blackrock Credit Union is an equal opportunities employer
Canvassing will disqualify.