Head of Advocacy & Regulatory Affairs - Irish League of Credit Unions
- Reporting to the CEO and a member of the ILCU Leadership Team, the Head of Advocacy & Regulatory Affairs is responsible for leading and executing the advocacy and regulatory affairs agenda for ILCU-affiliated Credit Unions in ROI and NI, raising the professional profile of the Credit Union sector, and progressing key policy agendas that support Credit Union objectives.
- The role holder will work with the CEO to lead out on stakeholder engagement, ensuring the ILCU delivers professional representation and advocacy with the Government, Regulators in Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and other professional bodies.
- The role holder will act to influence and enable the ILCU’s message to be heard and valued at the most senior levels.
- The role holder will collaborate with colleagues, our members, and other stakeholders to develop policy positions for all issues relevant to our members and the credit union movement. The person will lead the credit union regulatory policy agendas, oversee the development of research papers, and promote thought leadership that informs our members, key decision makers and external stakeholders.
- This role is also responsible for enabling progressive two-way engagement with ILCU affiliates and volunteers across the island of Ireland, to proactively inform and support policy discussions and positions for the sector, as well as collaborating to strengthen the credit union movement.
- Working closely with CEO to inform and steer policy thinking and lead the ILCU public affairs, advocacy and regulatory affairs strategy and plans
- Collaborating with the Leadership Team to develop plans that deliver advocacy and regulatory affairs activities to meet ILCU’s agreed objectives
- Oversight and management of national policy projects for the ILCU’s affiliated membership, underpinned by operational plans and activities that inform, monitor, and evaluate the effectiveness of these projects
- Development of policy positions across relevant topics and issues for ILCU members and the Credit Union movement, supported by well-researched policy briefings, reports, and technical documents
- Proactively build and manage constructive relationships in the political and regulatory arena in Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland including with the CBI, the PRA, FCA and government departments enhancing the credibility of the ILCU and the CU movement
- Leverage credit union relationships internationally including with the European Network of Credit Unions and the World Council of Credit Unions
- Enhance the credibility of the ILCU by leading and managing meetings with policy influencers and decision-makers, providing well-researched analysis and papers on credit union activities and positions, as well as alerting and advising on threats and opportunities arising on specific issues
- Develop the strategy and frameworks to collaborate and optimise engagement with affiliated members and volunteer stakeholder groups with the objective of enhancing the impact, influence, and activities of ILCU
- Represent the ILCU on key policy forums and groups, at events and meetings, including presenting at events and conferences
- Support the CEO and LT colleagues with all correspondence and engagements with stakeholder groups
- Keep up-dated with research, development, and public opinion around key policy themes, as well as political developments and changing policy, providing timely updates to CEO/ LT and the Board
- Ensure the ILCU’s advocacy and regulatory affairs work is of a high standard and in line with its strategic priorities
- Ensure advocacy and policy messaging from ILCU is consistent in all communications to internal and external stakeholders
- Provide professional advocacy support and guidance to the ILCU CEO and LT colleagues, as well as to the Board of the ILCU
- Educate and inform members of the ILCU through the CU CEOs, Chairs and Chapters on the range of advocacy and regulatory activities
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Advocacy & Regulatory Affairs team, in addition to collaborating and influencing across wider company functions
- Champion a customer-focused approach and attitude across internal and external team interactions and relationships, and through the design and implementation of working procedures and processes including timely performance evaluation and feedback
- Any other duties which may be reasonably required from time to time, and which are commensurate with this senior role.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as reasonably required.
Degree in business, law, public relations, communications, or other related discipline
- Up to 10 years’ experience within advocacy, public policy &/or regulatory environments, with 3 to 5 years at leadership or management level Proven experience of working in public policy, public affairs, public relations, or advocacy, at management &/or high-profile level Excellent knowledge of the regulatory, compliance and political audiences, processes and policies within financial services environment Experienced in shaping policy with a track record of developing, managing and delivering successful influencing campaigns
- Ability to gather policy and political intelligence and use insight gained to form strategic and operational work plans and approaches to achieve objectives
- Proven research skills and experience of drafting policy documents and reports, and ability to translate complex concepts for the public and policymakers
- Experience of translating complex policy into accessible briefings for internal and external audiences
- Experience of working in a membership &/or NFP environment with both executive and non-executive officers, and experience of briefing and advising senior members of staff Proven ability to build effective and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and experience of managing complex stakeholder relationships and groups
- Skilled at presenting and influencing others, you will be an excellent communicator who is able to build relationships quickly
- Project management and the delivery of complex projects to deadlines
- Experience in people management, leading and directing multiple team membersin a busy environment
- A strategic thinker and effective networker and influencer with ability to assess and navigate situations and people
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, and the ability to think on your feet and act sensitively with different viewpoints
- Clear communicator (written and verbal) with personal impact and the ability to adapt to the range of situations and stakeholders faced in this role
- Passion to advocate for stronger policy representation and positions for Credit Union members that uphold the social and community ethos of the movement
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Adaptable and highly organised, with the ability to multi-task and prioritise An understanding of how to achieve medium and long-term goals, alongside capitalising on short-term opportunities
- Foster strong teamwork ethic as part of a small, hard-working Leadership Team and be prepared to actively support colleagues and projects across the organisation
- Strong open management style that engages and empowers employees to perform and develop in a professional environment, fostering a collaborative team culture and approach.
Interested candidates should apply by forwarding a CV and Cover letter (referencing the role you are applying for) outlining their suitability for this post to email@example.com
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday, September 30th, 2022. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
The Irish League of Credit Unions is an equal opportunities employer.