Your Complete Guide to Renovating or Redecorating
Filmed in SO Fine Art Gallery, Powerscourt Town House, Dublin.
How much can it cost to redesign a bathroom, garden or kitchen, or what’s the best way to spruce up a space on a small budget? What are the latest styles and trends sweeping the country and how do you know the right person for the job?
As restrictions lift, builders dust off hardhats and homeowners don paint rollers, decking tiles, grout filler - hoping to rejuvenate spaces they’ve spent months inside –
We’ve partnered with Roisin Murphy; architect, interior designer and presenter of RTE’s Home Rescue, to launch House2Home on Credit Union.ie. Over the next few months, we’ll share articles on our blog with advice on planning and budgeting, as well as style ideas and inspiring stories - so you can turn that house into the perfect home.
We've outlined all of the great topics we'll be covering over the next few weeks, below. You can also visit our blog, or keep an eye out for #House2Home across Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Home Renovation Planning
We kick off with how to plan a project big or small, with tips on choosing a designer, budgeting, cutting costs and whether you need an architect or an interior designer.
- Four Things to Think About Before a Renovation: Designer Roisin Murphy gives her top tips.
- Four Questions Your Interior Designer Should Ask: Roisin Murphy tells us five questions she always asks a client before starting a project.
- Choosing the Right Building Contractor: A Check-List: Make sure you find someone with all the right qualities, with our downloadable check-list.
- Eight Ways to Cut Home Renovation Costs: If you're struggling to stay within budget, check out our tips on how to reduce it.
- My Self-Build / House2Home Real Stories: We interview Alison Murphy, who talks us through the process of her self-build.
- How I Built my Dream Home: Self-Build Instagrammer Caitriona Hughes brings us through her stunning sea-side home.
- My Ideal Home: Roisin Murphy tells us what her ideal home would look like.
- Five Interior Design Ideas: Get some design inspiration with Roisin Murphy, who gives us five styles that are trending right now.
- Five Low Cost Ways to Spruce up Your Home: Roisin gives us low-cost shortcuts that will vamp up your home.
- Planning Permission; When do you Need it?: Roisin tells us exactly when you need to apply.
- Architect vs Interior Designer; What's the Difference? Roisin explains the difference, and when you might need one over the other.
We'll also focus on the garden over the next few weeks; how much does a garden redesign cost, what styles could you opt for and what's a low cost way to do it yourself? We'll also be catching up with Ireland's leading Garden Designer, columnist and previous Bloom judge Frances McDonald.
- Garden Design: A Q&A with Frances MacDonald: Frances MacDonald answers our questions on the ins and outs of garden design.
- Garden Design Ideas: Japanese & Mediterranean: We give ideas on how recreate two of the most beautiful garden styles.
- Five Affordable Ways to Improve Your Garden: How can you improve your garden on a budget?
- Five Ways to Create a Wildlife Friendly Garden: Award-winning garden writer Jane Powers gives us her tips to create a natural haven.
- Garden Goals with the Credit Union: We spoke to Aoife O'Neill, a credit union member who turned her garden dreams into a reality.
- The Complete Cost of a Garden Renovation: We tell you the costs of designing and landscaping a small and big garden.
- Garden Renovation Budget Planner: A nitfy template to help you map your garden renovation costs.
- 8 Most Valuable Garden Investments: What 8 things will improve the value of your garden?
Throughout our Kitchen content, you'll discover the styles gracing Irish houses, a complete guide on budgeting and spending and what type of joiner or designer you might need.
- Kitchen Design Ideas: Roisin Murphy tells us what new styles are coming in from Spain and Italy, and what is gone out of fashion.
- 10 Trending Kitchen Designs: From Larders to handle-less doors, we give you all ten of the latest trends to grace the Irish kitchen.
- 15 Kitchen Flooring Ideas: From Herringbone to Victorian tile, which kitchen floor suits your needs?
- Top Tips for your Dream Kitchen: Self-Builder Alison Murphy takes us through her 5 steps for creating the perfect kitchen.
- 20 Kitchen Colour Ideas: We give you 20 mouth-watering kitchen colours for a splash of inspiration.
- 8 Steps to Designing your Own Kitchen: A easy-to-follow guide on how to design your own kitchen
- 5 Affordable Ways to Renovate your Kitchen: The best ways to renovate your kitchen on a budget.
- The Complete Cost of a Kitchen Renovation: The A-Z costs of a kitchen renovation.
- Should you Hire a Kitchen Designer? Who should design your kitchen, and is it worth hiring someone?
- 5 Questions you Need to ask your Kitchen Fitter: Whoever is fitting your kitchen, make sure you ask them these questions.
Where is the best place in the house to build a bathroom, and what designs and features are on trend? We'll chat to experts, see how to you can make the most out of one of the smallest spaces in the home.
- Bathroom Design Ideas: Roisin Murphy tells us the hottest bathroom styles gracing Irish bathrooms.