Empty Link

Tax Rebate Ireland: 7 Ways to Claim

Education 2 min read

11 Jan 2022

Head of Direct Taxes with Taxback.com Christine Keily told RTE says millions of euro is unclaimed in tax every year:

"This is primarily down to the simple fact that people either don't know about the tax reliefs they are eligible for - or think the process of applying for a refund is way too much hassle.

According to the tax refund services in Ireland, the average refund for anyone who applies for tax back is between €900-€1,100.

Why not see what you might be entitled to? A little could go a long way.

As part of our Money on Your Mind Series - where we provide jargon-free insights, advice and resources to help you feel more financially confident - we’ve compiled main and most popular areas you can claim back. If you’re in financial difficulty and need to talk, you can always contact your local credit union here. We’re here to help.


1. Medical Expenses

Medical expenses is the single most popular tax relief that goes unclaimed every year; you can claim 20% back on most of your doctor or dentist fees (except routine dentist e.g. filing/cleaning tooth extraction). Everything else qualifies. 

In order to claim your tax back, you must register with PAYE.ie, and set up an account. You can then click on review your tax for the relevant years, and claim an income tax return for each year. They will be under medical expenses. 

2. Overpayment of PAYE and USC 

In prior years is a significant contributor to the amounts of money being refunded to taxpayers.

Taxback.com says it deals with people "every day who have paid too much in tax, some who simply haven’t applied for refunds, some who didn’t realise they were on emergency tax, or others because they only worked in the country for part of the year".


2. Tax Relief for Education Fees

If you studied a third level course (it can be full time or part-time) you are entitled to 20% back on your course fee, on amounts over €3,000 and up to €7,000. If you paid for the course for a child, you are still entitled to this tax back. For more info on tuition fee tax relief click here

3. Tax Relief for Special Diets

If you are coeliac or lactose intolerant, you can claim money back on the cost of foods tailored to your diet, e.g. soya products/gluten free food; just keep the receipts. You will need to provide the Revenue with a letter from your doctor.


4. Work Equipment or Uniforms

If you are employed and have to supply and/or launder your own uniform or tools or stationary, you could be entitled to tax relief. It is called flat-rate expenses. Employers who provide this equipment can also claim back tax. You can see what professions are eligible here.


5. Stay at Home Parent Tax

A married couple, which one is working in the home caring for children or another dependent person, are entitled to tax relief. It is based on the household income. It is called the Home Carer Tax Credit. 


6. Emergency Tax

Over-paying tax can most likely happen when you have changed jobs, but it can happen in other scenarios also – it could be your tax credits are just not accurate – you could have over paid or underpaid tax. Each year, you should request a balancing statement (P21) from the revenue anyway, so they can reissue you a refund if you have paid too much. (Sometimes, you can pay too little, and they will charge you, so be careful!) 


7. Rent-A-Room Relief

If you rent out a room or flat in your home you are exempt from income tax on the amount that your tenant pays you for rent and other services, up to €14,000 in a tax year. The relief applies only to residential tenancies, not to short-term guest arrangements. The relief can also apply to a self-contained unit (such as a basement flat) if it is part of, or is directly attached to, your home. You are not eligible for Rent-a-room relief if you are renting the room to an adult child.

 Money on your Mind is a new series which aims to help you build your financial confidence. You’ll find insights, tips and suggestion to help you feel more knowledgeable about managing your money, as well as jargon free answers to some basic financial questions. The content within this series is aimed to provide general guidance and information only. It does not represent financial advice.